Large amounts of studies over time have discovered that people with a strong sense of humor tend to be smarter, healthier, and less stressed about their lives in general. It is fun to share a good laugh, but did you know it can actually improve your life in many aspects? Learn how to harness the powerful benefits of laughter and humor can have a number of benefits in our everyday life .When we are young, we used to laugh hundreds of times a day, but as we grow up, life tends to be more serious and laughter more infrequent. But by seeking out more opportunities for humor and laughter, we can improve our lifestyle in many aspects like improve our emotional health, strengthen our relationships, be a better public speaker, find greater happiness, become more sociable , improve our output at work and even add years to our life.
Here, we are going to illustrate 7 most advantageous aspects of having a sense of humor in our everyday life.
benefits of humor in the workplace
The first reason why having a sense of humor is beneficial is that it helps employees and employers both satisfied in their career as we mentioned here.
- Humor improves productivity: In one study of more than 2,500 employees, 81 percent said they believe a fun working environment would increase their output at their workplace.
- Humor reduces stress: People with a sense of humor report less stress and anxiety than those with a low sense of humor, despite experiencing the same number of problems at work.
- Humor prevents burnout: Humor has also been identified as a communication tool that, when used effectively, can prevent burnout and create a resilience to stress
- Humor provides motivation: The use of humor in work places has been associated with improving morale among workers, creating a more positive organizational culture, and increasing motivation.
- Humor increases size of paycheck: The size of employees bonuses correlated positively with their use of humor – ‘In other words, the funnier the executives were, the bigger the bonuses.
if you are interested in how to improve your sense of humor you need to read this article, called
social benefits of laughter
There are some benefits of having a sense of humor which are beneficial at workplace but also in our social affairs. In other words, laughter helps us to develop our social skills.
- Humor connects us with others: Positive sounds such as laughter or a triumphant ‘woo hoo!’ can trigger a response in the listener’s brain. The response is automatic and helps us interact socially by priming us to smile or laugh, and thereby connecting us with the other person.
- Humor fosters rapport: Humor is valued as a social asset and, exercised judiciously, confers upon its encoder the animated interest and welcoming approval of others. Sharing humor fosters rapport and intimacy and promotes friendship by showing common sentiment and reducing tensions.
- Humor reduces status differentials: Humor can help to reduce the social distance between managers and employees.
- Humor builds trust: Negotiators who start an online transaction with a humorous experience will have more interpersonal trust, greater joint gains, and more satisfaction with the process and their partner.
- Humor encourages collaboration: Many researches shows that when you share a laugh with someone, you are mirroring not only one another’s body language, but also the hormonal and neuronal activity, prompting a mutual investment in each other’s well-being.
Mental benefits of laughter
Away from the plus points laughter can have on our social life and in our workplace , it has some positive effects on our own body, here we are elaborating some benefits of laughter on our brain.
- Laughter adds joy and zest to life: As we mentioned before, having a sense of humor adds joy to our life as we can make other people around us laugh and give them positive energy .It also makes us enjoy more from our living .
- Eases anxiety and tension: Scientists have found that a good, hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress, leaving your brain and muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes after.
- Relieves stress: Laughter can also stimulate circulation and aid muscle relaxation, both of which can help reduce some of the physical symptoms of stress that we receive from our life and work.
- Improves mood: Many people experience depression, sometimes due to chronic illnesses, sometimes due to some sad events they face in their lives. Laughter can help lessen your depression and anxiety and may make you feel happier.
laughter is the best medicine
It is true that laughter is a strong medicine. It draws people together in ways that trigger healthy physical and emotional changes in the body. Laughter strengthens your immune system, boosts mood, diminishes pain, and protects you from the damaging effects of stress. Nothing works faster or more dependably to bring your mind and body back into balance than a good laugh. Here are some most benefits that laughter has that can be counted as medicine .
- it increases ability to cope: By ﬁnding humor in stressful situations in life and workplace, people can replace negative with positive affect, thereby giving them an increased ability to cope with negative states of affairs.
- It strengthens the immune system: Laughter may improve immune function by blocking production of stress hormones, such as cortisol, and by increasing the release of immune enhancers, such as beta-endorphin that leads to having a strong immune system.
- Laughter protects the heart: Laughter improves the function of blood vessels and increases blood flow, which can help protect you against a heart attack and other cardiovascular problems.
- It burns calories: Laughing 100 times can burn as many calories as 10-minutes on a stationary bicycle.
- May even help you to live longer: A new study found that people with a strong sense of humor outlived those who do not laugh as much. The difference was particularly notable for those battling cancer.
Benefits of humor in public speaking
Money follows the funny. It is also proven by scientists that humor can guide a speech to a right direction. Add humor to your public speaking and you have even more power than you could imagine. Like those benefits that humor has in work place and social life , there are a number of benefits that makes having a sense of humor essential in our public speaking.
- It creates bond with the audience: A speaker who uses humor professionally comes across as more human, more likeable. This puts an audience at ease and makes people more receptive to what you are talking about.
- It energize people and make them engage: When you make people laugh while you are presenting something, as we mentioned above we put them at ease and make them more receptive , also we push them to engage. This technique is so beneficial and are being used by many professional speakers.
- It help the audience remember your points: Laughter has been shown to improve memory and cognitive function. This helps the audience remember your ideas while you make them engage and create bond with them.
- It leaves audience with a good impression of the speaker: People may participate in your speech and may remember some of your points , but they do not forget how you make them feel .
Benefits of humor in relationship
The world we live in can be tough, but nothing makes life go smoother than good humor, which happens to be just as, if not more, essential in our romantic relationships. One of the first things that people say they look for in a mate is the ability to make them laugh. this is why joking help you to make others fall in love with you.
- It brings couples closer together: Even when you are upset with your partner, it is difficult to be in your feelings when you are cracking up. All it takes is one good joke and laughing together that works like couples therapy.
- You can always cheer each other up: After a long day at work, a good laugh with the person you love is enough to get your mind off all of the things that got under your skin. When all you need is the two of you to have a great time nothing else matters.
- Couples that laugh together tend to stay together: According to research, couples who share the same sense of humor and laugh together are more likely to stay together longer.
Benefits of having a sense of humor in friendship
Almost like positive point of having a sense of humor in relationship , there are some plus points in sharing your laughter with your friend no mater if he or she is your co-worker an acquaintance or a close friend .
- It makes your friendship more fun: Because when you are with your friend you want to have fun, be happy, and therefore, laugh. Sense of humor is definitely the best way to make someone laugh. If you do not have a sense of humor, hopefully the person your with has one, or else that’d be a pretty boring time.
- It makes your friendship stronger: People may have so many things in common and so many different attitudes , but there is one thing that is true for every friendship which makes it more stronger and that is having a sense of humor .
- It makes your distress disappear more quickly: When you or your friend is upset , you can help each other feel better by talking and also telling a good joke to aid yourself cope with your problems .
In conclusion , having a sense of humor looks inevitable in everyone’s life ,as it is useful in workplace in relationships ,speech , and also for our health , so keep in mind to laugh as much as you can even in your hardest times .
I want to know more